Parmesan Chicken with Lemon Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup frozen peas (about 4 ounces), thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Freshly ground pepper, optional
- In a saucepan, bring broth and lemon juice to a boil. Stir in rice and onion; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is almost absorbed and rice is tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, whisk together egg and milk. In another bowl, toss bread crumbs with 1/3 cup cheese and oregano. Pound chicken breasts with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness. Dip in egg mixture, then in crumb mixture to coat both sides.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook chicken until golden brown and chicken is no longer pink, 2-3 minutes per side.
- When rice is cooked, gently stir in peas; cook, covered, until heated through, 1-2 minutes. Stir in lemon zest and remaining cheese. Cut chicken into slices; serve with rice. If desired, sprinkle with pepper.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked chicken with 3/4 cup rice: 500 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 623mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 36g protein.
Nov 4, 2017
So easy to prepare and all ingredients on hand - loved it
Oct 24, 2017
This recipe makes for a perfect quick dinner. My boyfriend loved the chicken and the pairing with lemon rice made for a nice little "date night" meal. Will definitely make again!
Oct 22, 2017
Such an easy way to make plain rice taste amazing. The chicken was also delicious. I added some of my cream avocado sauce and it put it over the edge. Definitely a meal I will make for company.
Jul 16, 2017
This is amazing. The rice is something I will make just on its on. So good and simple.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.