Turkey Barley Tomato Soup
This low-calorie soup is so quick to prepare and tastes so good. It's a real stomach-filler and warms us up on cold winter days. -Denise Kilgore of Lino Lakes, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 3/4 cup sliced or baby carrots
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning, divided
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a Dutch oven, cook the turkey, carrots, onion, celery, garlic and 1 tablespoon taco seasoning over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the water, tomatoes and remaining taco seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add barley; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes longer or until barley is tender. Stir in oregano.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 275 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 923mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 18g protein.
Apr 7, 2012
Excellent and fast!
Aug 20, 2011
Everyone loved the recipe. Used it for a church potluck and shared the recipe with everyone there.
Nov 8, 2010
This recipe was a hit with the whole family. It is hearty and super easy to make.