Roasted Garlic Butternut Soup
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes9 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium butternut squash (3 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3-1/4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°. Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off garlic bulb. Brush with oil; wrap in heavy-duty foil. Bake 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute squash, sweet potato and onion in butter until crisp-tender. Add water, broth, paprika, pepper and salt; squeeze softened garlic into pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
- In a food processor, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan and heat through. Ladle into bowls; top with blue cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup soup with 1 tablespoon blue cheese: 144 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 340mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Nov 26, 2012
Made it for Thanksgiving dinner, have already made it again. The second time, I added 1/2 T of brown sugar to give it just a hint of sweetness...perfecto!
Mar 12, 2012
the flavor is good, but is better as a side soup, vs a main dish
Dec 24, 2011
This is good, but it could use a little something extra. I served it with cornbreaad muffins that had a little cumin in them, and it went well together.
Oct 18, 2011
this is very good soup! I added a little bit of cumin, curry powder, and sugar, plus extra salt and paprika, and a generous splash of sherry. the flavors are delicious but very subtle, so I suggest you pair this with a mild side dish. I had a bold spinach/walnut/apple/blue cheese salad, and it overpowered the soup's flavors. I'll make it again, but it needed those few extra things!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.