Roasted Butternut Tossed Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 pound)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups coarsely chopped iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat poppy seed salad dressing, divided
- 1/2 cup seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, toss squash and onion with honey, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Transfer to a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring once. Cool slightly.
- In another bowl, combine spinach, lettuce, cheese and squash mixture. Just before serving, drizzle with 4 tablespoons dressing and toss to coat. Divide salad among eight plates; top with stuffing cubes, cranberries, almonds and bacon. Drizzle with remaining dressing.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 165 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 453mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Dec 3, 2018
Delicious! Used walnuts and skipped the bacon. The flavor of the squash was so good. Will definitely make this again.
Jan 5, 2018
I made a version of this salad using some leftover roasted butternut squash with onions. I tossed the squash with romaine and radicchio lettuces because I didn't have spinach or iceberg lettuces. With the sweetness of the butternut, I just drizzled the salad with red wine vinegar. It was delicious, and I would use roasted butternut squash in a salad again!
Dec 12, 2017
This is absolutely delicious! I didn't tell my husband what I was making because I was sure he wouldn't like even the sound of it. But I was wrong! We both loved it! I left out the bacon and made my own poppy seed dressing. We are trying to lose some weight, so I made this a plate salad and that was our supper. Very filling and delicious.
Feb 11, 2014
I didn't expect to like this. The squash in it made me nervous, but I had some to use up so I gave it a try. I am SO glad I did! This was a fantastic salad, and even my kids and father-in-law loved it! The sweetness of the cranberries was a nice touch. I made my own poppy-seed dressing instead of buying a bottle, and it was definitely something I would make again!
Dec 28, 2013
This salad is surprisingly fantastic, with brilliant combinations of flavors, textures, and even temperatures with the warm squash on the cool greens. I liked it so much for lunch that I had it again for dinner! I added a little oil to the honey mixture for roasting the squash, and I prepared a homemade poppyseed dressing (not fat-free) rather than make a trip to the store. Wow.
Dec 28, 2013
Tried this for the first time last night as a meal. I really didn't expect it to be so good. I halved the onion and it was delicious and filling.
Dec 23, 2013
I made this for our Thanksgiving dinner. It is a nice change of pace from other salads, and very tasty! I highly recommend it!
Nov 25, 2013
Prepared this salad for a sorority meeting and It was a hit and everyone wanted the recipe.
Nov 1, 2013
My 92yr old Mom lives with my husband and me. We often enjoy Meal salads instead of a heavy dinner. This one definitely was a hit. It's full of textures and yummy flavors that appealed to all of us. I left out the stuffing cubes and used Turkey bacon. It will be added to our list of favorites.