Total TimePrep: 10 min. + standing Cook: 1 hour 35 min.
Makes14 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 5 packages (16 ounces each) dried beans: lima, great northern, kidney, pinto and split peas (enough for four batches of soup)
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 3 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- Combine beans; divide into four even batches, about 3-3/4 cups each.
- To make one batch of soup: Wash one batch of beans. Place in a large kettle; add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil; cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour.
- Tie spices in a cheesecloth bag. Drain and rinse beans. Return to kettle; add bouillon, spices and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove spices. Add tomatoes and heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 191 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 293mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 19, 2008
This is a truly delicious soup, one I consider "comfort food". It's easy to make, freezes beautifully, and my family loves it. I often add a ham bone or ham hock for flavor.