Total TimePrep: 10 min. + standing Cook: 2-3/4 hours
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 package (12 ounces) 16-bean soup mix
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Set aside seasoning packet from beans. Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- Return beans to the pan. Add contents of bean seasoning packet, onion, garlic, salt, chili powder, pepper, pepper sauce, bay leaf and water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until beans are tender. Add tomatoes and lemon juice. Simmer, uncovered, until heated through. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 92 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 881mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 13g fiber), 8g protein.
Nov 8, 2016
I served this hearty delicious soup with corn bread. I prepared as directed except I added a leftover ham bone for added flavor and I cooked mine all day in the crockpot. Very easy, tasty economical meal!
Feb 9, 2016
Forget the seasoning packet, cook with chicken broth instead of water, and add plenty of diced carrots and celery.
Mar 12, 2012
For this recipe I used the Red Mill 13-Bean Blend; which does not contain a seasoning packet. I recommend using low sodium chicken stock instead of just water, for added flavor. In doing so, do not add salt as listed in the ingredients.
Sep 17, 2011
I always add fresh shucked corn that I've frozen and my own spices. I used the packet that came with it once and almost had to toss the whole batch! I added extra garlic and no hot sauce. Italian seasonings one time and chili seasonings (not too much) another. I've also added bite size pre-cooked chicken breast and cut up ham. The very best batch I made was with Venison Sausage. That went over big with family and friends! Also added Tomato Paste with the diced tomatoes in the ham and chicken recipes. Extra flavor was great.
Oct 19, 2010
I agree. Forget the seasoning pack. YUCK!
Jan 19, 2009
From my experience with the multiple bean soup mix you should never ever use that seasoning packet they provide. I am not sure what all they put in there but your own seasonings are far better. To prove my point, I developed a way to cook the bean mix leaving out that nasty seasoning packet, used chicken or beef broth to cook the beans in and made a great soup. I passed this recipe on to a friend forgetting to tell them to discard the seasoning packet and their kids said when it was cooking it smelled so bad that they would not touch it. When my friend tried to taste the soup they said it tasted as badly as it smelled. I felt terrible. Forget that prepackaged seasoning and use your own fresh or dried herbs, like bay leaves, and or garlic, salt and mixed fresh ground peppers.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.