Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut wax beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the vinegar, sugar, oil, salt and pepper. Pour over bean mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 161 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 496mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
May 10, 2019
Excellent recipe. I make one very similar but add a can of butter beans, large Italian style lima beans. I also heat the oil, vinegar and sugar until sugar melts and add some rosemary and oregano. Always a favorite.
Jul 10, 2015
Only rating low because I haven't made this recipe. My go-to calls for 5 of any kind of beans except baked beans, and includes 1/2c vinegar,1/4c. oil,1/3c. sugar,2 tbs. parlsey flakes,1tbs. each basil and tarragon.It's a recipe from a friend when we were based in Quebec way back in the early 60s. Been a family favourite since.