Home-Style Black-Eyed Pea Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup Italian stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch salt
- In a large saucepan, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Add the peas, water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Stir in the ham, Italian seasoning, pepper and salt. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until heated through, about 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 272 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 1314mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 7g fiber), 18g protein.
Jan 1, 2014
Very good! DH asked that it be put in regular rotation and not just on New Year's Day. I added carrots and used 1/2 cup of dried black-eyed peas (softened per the instructions on the package, before adding them to this recipe.)
Dec 28, 2013
Jan 10, 2010
This was one of the easiest, quickest and best tasting black-eyed pea soup recipe I have ever eaten