Vibrant Black-Eyed Pea Salad
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 each small green, yellow and red peppers, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- In a large bowl, combine peas, tomatoes, peppers, onion, celery and basil.
- For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk vinegar, mustard, oregano, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in oil until blended. Drizzle over salad; toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, at least 3 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 130 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 319mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Jul 22, 2015
I like black-eyed peas, so I'm always looking for something to do with them. This was good but the black-eyed peas seem to get lost in all the other ingredients and sauce.
Jul 2, 2015
Loved this as a dip with tortilla chips. I served with sour cream. Some jalapenps might have kicked this up a notch.
Jun 4, 2015
I really liked this recipe. It was good as a salad and also as a dip.
May 24, 2015
I made this for our Memorial weekend party. For me, it was missing something. All I tasted was sauce, but one flavor came through. Not sure that I will make this again.