Black-Eyed Peas with Ham
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + soaking Cook: 8 hours
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried black-eyed peas
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups water
- Thinly sliced green onions, optional
- Rinse and sort black-eyed peas; soak according to package directions. Drain and rinse peas, discarding liquid. Transfer peas to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until peas are tender. Serve with a slotted spoon. Sprinkle with green onions if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 76 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 476mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Nov 17, 2017
I made this with ham hock. I did add a bit of garlic to it and served it over rice! Was so good with homemade corn bread. Good even when it's not on rice!
Jan 2, 2017
I saw this recipe for Hoppin' John and I just had to try it. I've always wanted to make this and I am glad I used this wonderful recipe. It was easy...... and very TASTY! I used ham broth that I made with the bone from my Christmas ham instead of the water, 1 clove of garlic instead of 3 and 1 teaspoon of seasoned salt (Tastefully Simple brand) instead of 2 teaspoons. It was a perfect New Year's Day meal ...... served with baby spinach sauteed in bacon drippings and corn bread. I'll be making this again!
Dec 30, 2016
I was afraid this would be bland and need some excitement, but it ended up quite tasty. I did simmer a hambone in it, which couldn't have hurt anything!