Black-Eyed Peas with Ham
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + soaking Cook: 8 hours
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried black-eyed peas
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups water
- Thinly sliced green onions, optional
- Rinse and sort black-eyed peas; soak according to package directions. Drain and rinse peas, discarding liquid. Transfer peas to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until peas are tender. Serve with a slotted spoon. Sprinkle with green onions if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 76 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 476mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 17, 2017
I made this with ham hock. I did add a bit of garlic to it and served it over rice! Was so good with homemade corn bread. Good even when it's not on rice!
Jan 2, 2017
I saw this recipe for Hoppin' John and I just had to try it. I've always wanted to make this and I am glad I used this wonderful recipe. It was easy...... and very TASTY! I used ham broth that I made with the bone from my Christmas ham instead of the water, 1 clove of garlic instead of 3 and 1 teaspoon of seasoned salt (Tastefully Simple brand) instead of 2 teaspoons. It was a perfect New Year's Day meal ...... served with baby spinach sauteed in bacon drippings and corn bread. I'll be making this again!
Dec 30, 2016
I was afraid this would be bland and need some excitement, but it ended up quite tasty. I did simmer a hambone in it, which couldn't have hurt anything!