Great Northern Bean Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the next 11 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in parsley; cook 5 minutes longer. Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 274 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 937mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 8g fiber), 11g protein.
Apr 13, 2018
This recipe was made on 4/12/18 ,and I made a few changes after reading the other reviews. Instead of a 28 ounce can of tomatoes only a 15 ounce was used. I used two 15 ounce cans of Northern Beans. The amount of sausage was increased to 1 1/2 pounds. I left out the hot sauce and parsley (just a personal preference ). My SO and I both enjoyed this very much . Thanks for posting. :)
Nov 9, 2017
Excellent stew! I read through the reviews before making this dish, and took some advice from those. Instead of using the 15 oz can of beans the recipe calls for, I used a 48 oz jar of beans with water. I didn't have hot sauce so I added a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes. It was so delicious, a definite keeper!
Oct 7, 2016
To those of you saying it needs more liquid, trust the process! As the cabbage cooks down, there will be plenty of liquid. Adding water will take away from the deliciousness! I've made this recipe dozens of times over the years...it has never let me down. (I add more brown sugar and hot sauce, my family's preference)
Jan 17, 2016
I used hamburger instead of sausage, as I don't like sausage. Left out the hot sauce. We loved this. Definitely will make again.
Nov 13, 2015
Talk about a hug in a mug! After taking the advice of several reviewers to increase the bean content (I put in two large jars of Great Northern beans, water and all, instead of the one 15-oz. can), this turned into the most comforting, hearty, flavorful creation I have had in a long time! We provide meals to my elderly in-laws, and the fact that this is so nutritious and freezes well will make this tops on my list!
Nov 11, 2015
I did start to make this but then realized there was no liquid at all in it except for the tomatoes. Had to add water. Wasn't impressed with this stew.
Dec 16, 2013
loved this, but next time will add more beans!!
May 10, 2013
Husband loved this and has asked for it again
Dec 13, 2011
This was delicious!! Perfect for snuggling on the couch on a cold night!!
Oct 26, 2011
Excellent!!! The only thing I will do different next time is to double the recipe, because there wasn't enough!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.