Cocktail Mushroom Meatballs
Tide over even the biggest appetites with beef-and-pork meatballs in a chunky mushroom sauce. Larger portions served over noodles or rice can make a great dinner, too. —Diane Kelley, Madison, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makesabout 4-1/2 dozen
- 1 large egg
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk egg, soup mix, bread crumbs and Worcestershire sauce. Add beef and sausage; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 12-15 minutes or until browned.
- Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in brown gravy mix and thyme. Add water and wine; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in condensed soup, pepper and meatballs; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
Originally published as Cocktail Mushroom Meatballs in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.