Cocktail Mushroom Meatballs
Tide over even the biggest appetites with beef-and-pork meatballs in a chunky mushroom sauce. Larger portions served over noodles or rice can make a great dinner, too. —Diane Kelley, Madison, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makesabout 4-1/2 dozen
- 1 large egg
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk egg, soup mix, bread crumbs and Worcestershire sauce. Add beef and sausage; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 12-15 minutes or until browned.
- Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in brown gravy mix and thyme. Add water and wine; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in condensed soup, pepper and meatballs; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
Originally published as Cocktail Mushroom Meatballs in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2015