Mushroom Hunter’s Sauce
Hunter sauce is a rich brown sauce with an accent of tomato. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 cups uncooked extra-wide egg noodles
- 1-1/2 pounds sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1-1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the mushrooms in butter until tender. Add wine. Bring to a boil; cook until sauce is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, broth and tomato paste until smooth. Add to mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Drain noodles; serve with mushroom sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 330 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 427mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Herb Polenta with Mushroom Sauce in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy 2005
Dec 16, 2010
This was very good! Easy as well. I added a cube of beef boullion, a dash of crushed black pepper, and a 1/2 teaspoon more of cornstarch to make it a little thicker. The flavor was amazing, and hubby couldn't get enough!