Pasta with Cream Sauce
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) bow tie pasta
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook for 8 minutes or until reduced by about half. Stir in cream.
- Cook, uncovered, 8-10 minutes longer or until sauce is reduced to 1-1/4 cups. Drain pasta; toss with sauce.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 358 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 181mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 15, 2019
This is SO tasty! Easy to prepare as well! I used 1/2 the amount of the pasta and butter instead of oil. But I will make it again and again!
May 24, 2018
Super easy recipe! I wanted to use the left over cream and chicken stock I had and this was perfect. The photo did put me off as it didn't look very creamy, however I used half the amount of pasta and it turned out perfectly! Thank you Amy (10 years later LOL!)
Feb 7, 2016
Delicious! I added carrots and cheese tortellini instead of bow tie pasta. Thank you, Amy, for sharing this recipe.
Sep 8, 2015
My family likes lots of sauce with their pasta so we reduced the noodles to 8 oz for this amount of sauce. I used dry seasonings - one tsp each. I thickened it a bit with cornstarch. I kept the noodles and the sauce separate and we ladled it on instead of tossing it in. We also topped it with French fried onions. Yummy!
Jun 3, 2015
Great recipe! Family enjoyed it. I added peas and ham to make it a meal! Will make again!
Jul 22, 2014
Yummy and versatile recipe--I added cubed pre-cooked ham and made it a main dish. Good with Green Salad with Herb Vinaigrette (another TOH recipe).
Oct 12, 2012
Instead of bow tie pasta, I used a garlic chicken tortelloni and it was awesome!!!
Jul 19, 2012
This was easy to make. I made some alterations: I used fat free half and half (to reduce fat), added some pecorino Romano cheese at the end (about 1/4 cup maybe?), and already cooked chicken breast strips. I also reduced the amount of pasta (to 3/4 lb of penne) and increased both the half and half and chicken broth. It made a thin but tasty sauce. My family would rather have a thinner sauce instead of not enough. As my 11 yr old son would say, this ones a keeper!
Apr 15, 2012
Yum! Enough said.
Nov 3, 2011
Wonderful! I added mushrooms and peppers to the dish, and it tasted great!