Tortellini with Tomato-Cream Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Additional grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook tortellini according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, spinach, basil, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in cream and cheese. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 8-10 minutes.
- Drain tortellini; toss with sauce. Sprinkle with additional cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 459 calories, 33g fat (18g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 835mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 13g protein.
Aug 19, 2019
My daughter made this and it was fabulous! You could taste all the ingredients. She has always been a great cook but this is her best! She put the cubes chicken right in the sauce! It's my fav!
Jul 6, 2019
Jun 25, 2019
My family and I loved this recipe. So easy and quick! I used a pint of my home canned tomatoes and I used half heavy cream and half Half and Half milk to cut down on calories a little. Shredded fresh parmesan over top before serving. Not only good but beautiful dish. You won't be sorry you tried it.
Feb 10, 2019
Oct 27, 2018
Oustamding and simple! My husband and I both devoured it. This is my new go-to white sauce. Fabulous!
Oct 22, 2018
My husband loves this recipe, he asks me to make it often!!! I make it as is and sometimes add some meat. Great recipe!!!!!
Mar 30, 2017
Fantastic! I made the sauce with 2 TBSP butter, 2 TBSP flour and 1 1/2 cups milk with 2 oz cream cheese and 1/2 cup pecorino-romano cheese. I also added some sweet Italian sausage. Perfect!
Feb 25, 2017
Love this recipe. First time made ads written. Second time substituted ravioli. Still awesome. Third time I saut?ed shrimp and served over bow ties. Every time was as big winner.
Feb 8, 2017
Delicious! I doubled the recipe and made a few changes to use up what I had on hand. I used frozen cheese ravioli instead of tortellini and used about two-thirds cream and one-third milk in an effort to save calories and fat (and also because I didn't have quite enough cream on hand). It came out wonderfully and I will definitely be making this recipe again.
Dec 4, 2016
This has become a regular family dinner. Love it!