Tortellini with Tomato-Cream Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Additional grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook tortellini according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, spinach, basil, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in cream and cheese. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 8-10 minutes.
- Drain tortellini; toss with sauce. Sprinkle with additional cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 459 calories, 33g fat (18g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 835mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 27, 2018
Oustamding and simple! My husband and I both devoured it. This is my new go-to white sauce. Fabulous!
Oct 22, 2018
My husband loves this recipe, he asks me to make it often!!! I make it as is and sometimes add some meat. Great recipe!!!!!
Mar 30, 2017
Fantastic! I made the sauce with 2 TBSP butter, 2 TBSP flour and 1 1/2 cups milk with 2 oz cream cheese and 1/2 cup pecorino-romano cheese. I also added some sweet Italian sausage. Perfect!
Feb 25, 2017
Love this recipe. First time made ads written. Second time substituted ravioli. Still awesome. Third time I saut?ed shrimp and served over bow ties. Every time was as big winner.
Feb 8, 2017
Delicious! I doubled the recipe and made a few changes to use up what I had on hand. I used frozen cheese ravioli instead of tortellini and used about two-thirds cream and one-third milk in an effort to save calories and fat (and also because I didn't have quite enough cream on hand). It came out wonderfully and I will definitely be making this recipe again.
Dec 4, 2016
This has become a regular family dinner. Love it!
Nov 27, 2016
Oct 22, 2016
Well my husband says this is definately a keeper! He's not a spinach guy so I left that out. Instead I sauteed some onions and mushrooms cut up a chicken breast & browned it with them. I used my Roma tomatoes from the garden. Also added some gouda cheese that I had left over from another recipe. Whenever I get a recipe that calls for heavy cream I always use fat free half & half - works just as well. It became a 1 dish meal.
Jun 5, 2016
I always use fresh ingredients when possible. this looked very good, but it was excellent when I made it with fresh spinach and basil. Did use canned tomatoes though.
Mar 31, 2016
Amazing sauce! Followed recipe except i added red pepper flakes to give that little kick. My husband started licking his bowl till i told him there was more in the pan.