Shrimp & Tortellini in Tomato Cream
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan and Romano cheese blend
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 10 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- Shredded Parmesan cheese and minced fresh parsley, optional
- Cook tortellini according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook shrimp in 2 teaspoons oil until shrimp turn pink. Stir in the lemon zest, 1/8 teaspoon pepper and pepper flakes. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, cook shallots in remaining oil over low heat for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add the tomatoes, clam juice, wine, vinegar, thyme and remaining pepper. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; discard thyme sprigs. Stir in the cheese, cream, basil, chives and shrimp.
- Drain tortellini; stir into shrimp mixture. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 449 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 182mg cholesterol, 723mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 33g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 5, 2014
Very good, but I did think it needed more cream.
Feb 13, 2013
This is a great Tomato base recipe with or without the shrimp. Cheese ravioli would also work instead of the tortellini. Rather than using the clam juice I made a shrimp stock from the shells of the shrimp.
Feb 6, 2013
I've made this several times and my FAMILY loves it!
Sep 27, 2012
This was an easy dish to make, absolutely delicious!
Jan 26, 2012
I thought this was good, but my husband and daughter did not like it. I thought the flavor was good but I don't think I would say it was something out of an Italian restaurant.
Nov 4, 2011
I will definitely make this dish again. My husband and I agreed it reminded us of a meal in a fine restaurant.
May 22, 2011
OMG, this was delicious!!! Any restaurant would be lucky for such a quality dish. I left out the clam juice because I didn't have, but still, yum!
Apr 22, 2011
Mar 1, 2011
I forgot to say that when I made this dish I add some cornstarch and water together and stirred it in the broth to thicken a bit
Feb 28, 2011