Tortellini with Tomato Spinach Cream Sauce
I enjoy all things pasta, and tortellini is my favorite. The flavor of this dish is amazing. Even my husband, who hates pasta of any kind, loves it! It's a great recipe for non-spinach fans to try, too. —Jenny Dubinsky, Inwood, West Virginia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 5 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 package (19 ounces) frozen cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes, spinach and seasonings. Cook and stir over medium heat until liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in cream; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cook tortellini according to package directions; drain. Stir into sauce. Sprinkle with cheese.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 404 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 810mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Tortellini with Tomato Spinach Cream Sauce in Simple & Delicious October/November 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.