Sue’s Spicy Tomato Basil Tortellini
A friend remarked about a similar baked tortellini dish at a restaurant, so I wanted to try re-creating it for her at home. My stovetop version makes it weeknight easy. —Cynthia Gerken, Naples, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (19 ounces) frozen cheese tortellini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken, 1 tsp. Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; saute until meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In the same pan, add onion, habanero pepper, garlic and the remaining Italian seasoning and oil; reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes; cook and stir until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in cream; bring to a boil. Add tortellini, chicken and cheese; heat through. Top with basil to serve.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 488 calories, 31g fat (17g saturated fat), 126mg cholesterol, 575mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Sue’s Spicy Tomato Basil Tortellini in Simple & Delicious August/September 2018