Spicy V8 juice is the surprise ingredient behind this savory Test Kitchen creation. Tortellini takes a cue from stew and is served up in a sauce that’s brimming with flavor.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1/3 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (5-1/2 ounces) spicy hot V8 juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup dried cheese tortellini
- Shredded Asiago cheese, optional
- In a small saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. In the drippings, saute the celery, onion and garlic until tender.
- Combine cornstarch and broth until smooth; stir into celery mixture. Add the V8 juice, chili powder, sugar and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook for 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Add tortellini. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tortellini is tender. Sprinkle with bacon. Garnish with Asiago cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 401 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 1293mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Spicy Tortellini Stew in Cooking for 2 Spring 2008