Pasta with Creamy Sweet Potato Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Additional shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- Scrub and pierce sweet potato; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 10-12 minutes or until tender, turning once. When cool enough to handle, remove and discard skin. Place potato in a large bowl and mash with milk.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. In a large skillet, saute pine nuts and sage in butter until pine nuts are toasted. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute garlic in oil for 1 minute. Stir in the sweet potato mixture, salt and pepper. Drain pasta, reserving 3/4 cup cooking water; add to sweet potato mixture. Stir in the cheese, pine nut mixture and reserved cooking water. Sprinkle with additional cheese if desired.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 294 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 529mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Feb 7, 2013
My husband and I liked this recipe quite a bit. I thought it was a good change up from our normal rotation. Our girls (8 & 18) however were not as impressed with the sweetness. My husband prefers meat with his meals so I added turkey kielbasa.
Jan 10, 2013
Very different way to use sweet potato. Left out the pine nuts as I had none on hand.
Sep 25, 2012
I used some light cream cheese instead of the parmesan. Also, a full tsp. of sage is a bit much. Otherwise, it's delicious and healthier than most sauces.
Sep 24, 2012
it's quick, easy and I like those two combinations