Special Turkey Sandwiches
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 large red onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 8 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 3/4 pound sliced deli turkey
- 8 slices tomato
- 8 lettuce leaves
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, spinach, basil, cheese and garlic until blended; set aside. In a small skillet, cook onion in wine until tender; set aside.
- Place four slices of toast on a broiler pan; top with turkey. Place remaining toast on broiler pan; spread with cream cheese mixture.
- Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Layer the onion, tomato and lettuce over turkey. Place cream cheese toasts over sandwiches.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 348 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 1426mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 29g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 10, 2019
My husband and I really enjoyed these. I cut the recipe in half for just the two of us. I too skipped the onion part. I also didn't have shredded parmesan, so instead of doing 8 tsp, I just did 2 tbsp of grated parmesan, and it worked out fine! I used a garlic tuscan bread which I had to toast in the oven beforehand (wouldn't fit in our toaster). I also did 8 oz of turkey instead of 6 because the slices of bread were pretty large. I really feel that the fresh basil is what makes this taste amazing. We would definitely have this one again.
Apr 6, 2011
This was really good!
Oct 9, 2010
I don't like onions, so I left those out, but after that change, the sandwiches were delicious!
Aug 10, 2010
This sandwich was amazing. It was like eating a restaurant sandwich. I will probably end up making it for company. And it was super easy.