Barbecued Turkey Sandwiches
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2/3 cup butter, softened and divided
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 cups shredded cooked turkey
- 8 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a saucepan, saute the celery, onion and green pepper in 1/3 cup butter until tender. Add the next seven ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add turkey; heat through. Spread the cut side of each hamburger bun with 1 teaspoon remaining butter. Serve turkey mixture on buns.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 1, 2014
Incredible! These tasted so good. Although the sauce is sufficient for 4 cups of shredded turkey, I think next time I will double the sauce because it was awesome!
Jan 4, 2012
These were delicious!
Aug 25, 2011
I trusted the reviews of others, and quadrupled this recipe for a group, the first time I made it. I was not disappointed! For a single recipe, I used only 1-1/2 teaspoons of oil/butter to saute vegetables in a non-stick skillet. I didn't butter the buns. I also reduced the amount of brown sugar to 1-1/2 tablespoons. Next time I'll make slightly more sauce for the amount of turkey--I like the sandwiches a little more moist.
Apr 1, 2011
This is a delicious recipe and easy. Didn't have turkey so used shredded chicken and cut down on the butter to saute veggies. Used on open faced whole wheat buns w/ a spread of mayo. Yum, yum. Will definitely make again.
Jul 6, 2010
Great recipe and not too spicy. I used vegetable oil instead of butter to saute vegetables and didn't bother buttering the buns since I didn't really see the need.
Jun 23, 2010
Very good recipe, but I made one big change from the recipe as it appears here: I only used 3 Tbsp of butter instead of 2/3 cup. I can't imagine putting that much butter in it!