Barbecued Sliced Pork Sandwiches
"I found this recipe in one of my great-aunt's cookbooks," recalls Melissa Norris of Churubusco, Indiana. "The original recipe called for beef, but I used leftover pork roast I had on hand. My family loves these tangy sandwiches."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 3 cups sliced cooked pork (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 8 sandwich buns, split
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 12 ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add pork; heat through. Serve on buns.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 524 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 1371mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 3g fiber), 33g protein.
Originally published as Barbecued Pork Sandwiches in Quick Cooking September/October 2001
Apr 26, 2013
This is easy to make and tastes great. Much better than bottled BBQ sauce.
Feb 28, 2011
I have made this recipe many times & it is one of my family's favorites. I often put it in a crock pot to keep warm for parties.