Barbecued Chicken Salad Sandwiches
An impromptu picnic inspired me to put together this dressed-up BBQ chicken salad sandwich. An instant summertime favorite, these sandwiches have become a mainstay at our house. —Linda Orme, Battleground, Washington
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Grill: 20 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 kaiser rolls, split
- 8 tomato slices
- 8 lettuce leaves
- Place the chicken in a large resealable plastic bag; add barbecue sauce. Seal the bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium-hot heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Cool; cover and refrigerate chicken until chilled.
- Chop chicken; place in a large bowl. Stir in the mayonnaise, onion, celery, salt and pepper flakes. Serve on rolls with tomato and lettuce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 481 calories, 27g fat (4g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 712mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Barbecued Chicken Salad Sandwiches in Country Woman May/June 2004
Sep 8, 2012
Ooohh! Yeah! I coarsely ground the grilled chicken in the processor, adding a bit more barbecue sauce, then proceeded with the recipe. Excellent sandwich filling.
Sep 13, 2010
This was really good.