Apple Cider Pulled Pork
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6-1/4 hours
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups apple cider or juice
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 24 mini buns, warmed
- Additional apple slices, optional
- Mix first 5 ingredients. Place apples, onion, celery and cider in a 5-qt. slow cooker; top with roast. Sprinkle roast with seasoning mixture. Cook, covered, on low until tender, 6-8 hours.
- Remove roast; shred with 2 forks. Skim fat from cooking juices. Mix cornstarch and water; stir into cooking juices. Cook, covered, on high until thickened, 10-15 minutes; stir in pork. Serve on buns. If desired, top with apple slices.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts2 sliders: 375 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 563mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Mar 12, 2017
I followed the recipe and used a 3.5 lb. pork roast, but the liquid was too much. When it was thickened, it made the pulled pork a bit on the slimy side. We ate it, but won't be making it again. It was also bland, as other reviewers stated.
Dec 4, 2016
We enjoyed this recipe. We even tried the apples on top and it was surprisingly good.
Nov 6, 2016
What a wonderful recipe! The apples and cider gave the pork a slightly sweet taste, which my husband and I both really liked!! It went well with the bottled BBQ sauce we like (Sweet Bbay Ray's Hickory Smoked). I used ingredients I had on hand, so I used smoked paprika instead of "regular" paprika and I used 1 Gala apple and 1 Cortland apple instead of 2 Granny Smith. I will certainly be making this again!
Nov 2, 2016
A fantastic way to prepare juicy, well-seasoned pork! The seasoning blend provided a subtle spicy (not hot) contrast to the sweetness of the juice. This definitely makes enough for a crowd. This may just be my new go-to pork roast recipe!
Oct 16, 2016
This was very bland and boring!