Dr Spicy BBQ Pork
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 4 hours
Makes12 servings (2/3 cup each)
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (5 to 7 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) Dr Pepper
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- French-fried onions, Rustic Garden Herb Biscuits and Zesty Coleslaw, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°. Sprinkle roast with garlic powder, salt and pepper; rub with chipotle peppers. Place in a Dutch oven. Top with sweet onion; sprinkle with brown sugar. Pour Dr Pepper around roast. Bake, covered, until meat is tender, 4 to 4-1/2 hours.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Strain cooking juices, reserving onion; skim fat from juices.
- Shred pork with 2 forks. Return juices, onion and pork to Dutch oven. Stir in barbecue sauce; heat through over medium heat, stirring occasionally. If desired, sprinkle with french-fried onions and serve with biscuits and coleslaw.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup pork mixture: 372 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 466mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 33g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 18, 2015
This was good. I couldn't find a shoulder roast at the store so used a butt roast instead. I am guessing this made it fattier. I used very little of the leftover juices, otherwise it would have been bbq soup and not appropriate for buns. We did not find it one bit spicy, though maybe including more of the juice would have changed that.
Sep 7, 2014
My hubby isn't a fan of spice so I only added 2 chipotle peppers. Even with the two peppers, it was still on the spicy side (nothing an extra dab of cole slaw couldn't fix). We'll stick with our sweet bbq pork recipes, but thanks for the experiment!
Jun 28, 2014
This was delicious! It made a lot, I am planning to use part of the leftovers to make a pizza, some to make a salad and freeze the rest in portions. I made it as the recipe directs except for adding all of the cooking juices back in. I just added enough to reach my desired sauciness! I will certainly be making this again!
Jun 21, 2014
Yum! Delicious and a little on the spicy side. My husband loved it! I halved the recipe for a small roast and cooked it in the crock pot. Turned out great.