Luau Pork Lettuce Wraps
I first made this recipe when our family took a trip to a beach house in Florida. On my night to cook, I did a luau theme and used this recipe as the appetizer. These are still a favorite today! —Joyce Conway, Westerville, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 3 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/3 cup chili garlic sauce
- 1 pound baby portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- Bibb lettuce leaves
- Chopped green onions, optional
- Rub salt and pepper over roast; transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Combine ketchup, hoisin and chili sauce; pour over roast. Top with mushrooms, onion and pineapple. Cook, covered, on low until pork is tender, 6-8 hours.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Strain cooking juices. Reserve vegetables and 1/2 to 1-1/2 cups juices; discard remaining juices. Skim fat from reserved juices. Shred pork with 2 forks. Return pork and reserved vegetables slow cooker; pour desired amount of reserved cooking juices over pork mixture and stir to combine. Stir in water chestnuts; heat through. Serve in lettuce leaves; top with green onions, if desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little broth if necessary. Serve with lettuce.
Nutrition Facts2 filled lettuce wraps: 242 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 1017mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Luau Pork Lettuce Wraps in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.