Luau Pork Lettuce Wraps
I first made this recipe when our family took a trip to a beach house in Florida. On my night to cook, I did a luau theme and used this recipe as the appetizer. These are still a favorite today! —Joyce Conway, Westerville, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 3 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/3 cup chili garlic sauce
- 1 pound baby portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- Bibb lettuce leaves
- Chopped green onions, optional
- Rub salt and pepper over roast; transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Combine ketchup, hoisin and chili sauce; pour over roast. Top with mushrooms, onion and pineapple. Cook, covered, on low until pork is tender, 6-8 hours.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Strain cooking juices. Reserve vegetables and 1/2 to 1-1/2 cups juices; discard remaining juices. Skim fat from reserved juices. Shred pork with 2 forks. Return pork and reserved vegetables slow cooker; pour desired amount of reserved cooking juices over pork mixture and stir to combine. Stir in water chestnuts; heat through. Serve in lettuce leaves; top with green onions, if desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little broth if necessary. Serve with lettuce.