Cranberry BBQ Pulled Pork
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 9 hours
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (4 to 6 pounds)
- 1/3 cup cranberry juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup cranberry juice
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- 14 hamburger buns, split
- Cut roast in half. Place in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Add cranberry juice and salt. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, 8-10 hours.
- Remove roast and set aside. In a small saucepan, combine the cranberry sauce, ketchup, cranberry juice, brown sugar, seasonings and liquid smoke if desired. Cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Skim fat from cooking juices; set aside 1/2 cup juices. Discard remaining juices. When cool enough to handle, shred pork with 2 forks and return to slow cooker.
- Stir in sauce mixture and reserved cooking juices. Cover and cook on low until heated through, about 1 hour. Serve on buns.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 409 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 772mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein.
Jun 7, 2019
This is a wonderful recipe! I have made it many times. I have been using cranberry cocktail juice and have always wondered if I should be using real pure cranberry juice. Maybe Carrie Wiegand will let us know.
Apr 2, 2019
Looking forward to making this. My supermarket only has bone in pork shoulder.
Jan 13, 2019
We really enjoyed the sweetness from the cranberries! A nice change up from the usual pulled pork. Will make again.
Dec 25, 2018
It was good but I think it’s too spicy to prepare for a large group of people that don’t like anything spicy, especially a group that has kids. Next time if I make it, I would omit the chipotle pepper. Even 1/4 teaspoon was too much.
Dec 10, 2018
Easy and delicious! The only thing you need is time and a slow cooker. The pork was flavorful and so tender. The cranberry bbq sauce is amazing. I had some homemade cranberry sauce I used instead of the canned. I also added some cayenne pepper as well as the chipotle and chili powder. The sauce can handle the spice well, although we don't like it too spicy. I made a kale, cabbage and apple slaw with a poppy seed dressing to go with it, what a winning combo!
Jul 31, 2016
Jun 25, 2016
Such a great change to the traditional pulled pork I make! Flavors blended together wonderfully.
Oct 7, 2015
This sauce is out-of-this-world delicious!! I recommend either using a roast no larger than 4 lb or make more sauce!!
Apr 1, 2014
Have now made it several times and its a winner every time!
Nov 4, 2013
I made this along with a southwest pulled pork for my wife's birthday party. Both pulled pork recipes got a resounding thumbs up, but the pot got cleaned out on this one, everyone loved it. If I could give it 10 stars I would. Had 20 people at our party and not one of them didn't like this. Incredible.I did not have chipotle pepper or liquid smoke, added a little Cholula hot sauce (which is really not hot at all) instead.