Apple-Cinnamon Pork Loin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 medium apples, peeled and sliced, divided
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown roast in oil on all sides; cool slightly. With a paring knife, cut about sixteen 3-in.-deep slits in sides of roast; insert one apple slice into each slit.
- Place half of the remaining apples in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Place roast over apples. Drizzle with honey; top with onion and remaining apples. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Remove pork and apple mixture; keep warm.
- Transfer cooking juices to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Serve with pork and apple mixture. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 290 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 15, 2018
I've made this several times and it comes out great every time. I've also shared with my in-laws and they raved about it. I omit the onions, which I think would kill the cinnamon and apple flavors, and I add about 2 cups of apple cider or apple juice. My mother made roast pork for years with cinnamon rubbed on it and my brother and I, to this day, won't eat it any other way.
Jan 17, 2017
Since I don't eat pork, the following review is from family. First thing husband said "where's the bbq sauce". It was moist, but not very tasty. They thought apples and onions were too strange to be used together. Glad I didn't add the cinnamon. While this would appeal to many, not us. Will pour bbq sauce over leftovers.
Jan 12, 2017
Awesome flavor. Easy to prepare. I would definitely try this again.
Dec 28, 2016
I gave this four stars because upon reading the recipe I felt it would be somewhat bland without a few herbs added. I put in a tablespoon of rosemary and a tablespoon of thyme. The roast came out very moist and the juices boiled down to a tasty sauce to put on the meat and potatoes. I had to add carrots because my husband thinks roasts must have them. They actually went quite well with the sauce. It was a delicious meal for a winter day.
Oct 2, 2016
My family didn't like this. They didn't like the combination of apples and onions and I guess 7 hours in the crock dried it out. I didn't think it was too bad but I won't make it again.
Apr 28, 2016
I made changes but used this as my inspiration. I used a pork shoulder roast instead. And yellow onion (its all i had) . I did not use parsley. And only sprinkled the cinnamon on top. The roast came out super moist and yummy. I served it on a bed of mashed sweet potatoes, with the cooked Apple's and oinions. And instead of the recommended sauce.. I took some spicy hot bbq sauce added some water and brown sugar and cooked it up until it was a little sticky.. poured that on top! Oh yeah!..
Feb 9, 2016
This was a fantastic pork recipe, and it came out great in the crock pot, not dry at all and great flavors - we served it with baked beans - great combination. Another bonus, it was low calorie!
Feb 7, 2016
This pork loin dish was very disappointing. Smelled good while cooking all day. It was dry, not enough juice (definitely not enough to cook in half even if I wanted to), and too much cinnamon. I cooked in the crock pot for 7 1/2 hours. The juice when served does help a little with the dryness. I ended up tossing what pork was left after supper. Didn't care for it enough to even have a second meal. I fixed per the directions.
Jul 11, 2015
Loved this! I left out the parsley as well......the house smells so good when it's cooking!!
Jan 5, 2015
this was the best pork from the crock pot! i did not top with parsley.