Slow-Cooker Autumn Potroast
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium parsnips, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into chunks
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 3/4 cup dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- Cut roast in half; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with sweet potatoes, parsnips, onion, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, thyme, bay leaves and remaining salt and pepper. Combine broth and wine; pour over vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Skim fat. Discard bay leaves. If desired, thicken cooking juices.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 593 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 149mg cholesterol, 732mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 6g fiber), 48g protein.
Oct 28, 2013
Good fall recipe. I thought that the sweet potatoes had a perfect texture, but found that my parsnips were slightly too firm. Will just cut into slightly smaller pieces next time. Used sun-dried tomato pesto because I could not find anything else.
Oct 23, 2013
This recipe is great!
Oct 23, 2013
I love this recipe !!!
Oct 14, 2013
It is easy to prepare, that is the good part. Totally lacking flavor, I added 1/2 cup Worchester sauce with about 1/2 an hour left to cook or it would have been almost tasteless. Parsnips were just right but the sweet potatoes turned to almost mush. Will not make this one again.
Sep 28, 2013
Nice traditional fall dish.
Sep 26, 2013
This recipe is mine and my husbands favorite! We used Rosato red wine and it gave it a hint of sweetness. Perfect!
Sep 25, 2013
Awesome Pot Roast and so easy to prepare. Got home from work to a complete meal and smelled so good.
Sep 24, 2013
I expected great things, but found the recipe to be so bland. I added some seasonings of my own to give some oomph to the taste. I also added mini carrots for color.
Sep 22, 2013
Sounds like a keeper...and a 5 * too.Making this as soon as I get some parsnips , such an easy reciipe , looking forward to making it, rating this in advance:) how can it not be good ?
Feb 29, 2012
I was drawn to this recipe for 2 reasons: 1. Sweet Potatoes, and 2. Parsnips - I love Sweet Potatoes and had to use up some Parsnips. These contributed to a unique and flavorful meal. I had to half the recipe because I have a 3 qt slow-cooker (just me and the wife), but will be making the other half in a couple of days. This is an excellent meal.