Grampa’s German-Style Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours + standing
- 4 thick-sliced bacon strips
- 1 pound baby Yukon Gold potatoes
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 3/4 cup chopped dill pickles
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 2 packages (14.4 ounces each) frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup stout beer or beef broth
- 1/3 cup Dusseldorf mustard
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes, carrots, sauerkraut and pickles in a 7-qt. slow cooker. Mix paprika, allspice, salt and pepper; rub over roast. Brown roast in drippings over medium heat. Transfer to slow cooker. Add onions and garlic to drippings; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in beer and mustard; pour over meat. Crumble bacon; add to slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on low until meat and vegetables are tender, 6-8 hours. Remove roast; let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Strain cooking juices. Reserve vegetables and juices; skim fat. Return reserved vegetables and cooking juices to slow cooker. Stir in sour cream; heat through. Serve with roast; sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 552 calories, 31g fat (12g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 926mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 39g protein.
Apr 16, 2020
Can’t be grandpaw’s German recipe if you changed it.
Dec 29, 2019
I followed this recipe exactly. The meat was tough, veggies came out perfect. Spent over $40 on ingredients ( had to buy spices!) so was slightly disappointed. Not sure what I did wrong.
Nov 19, 2019
Oh my gosh...so good!!! I followed the recipe exactly as written and it turned out perfect. My family absolutely loved it and we will definitely keep it!
Oct 8, 2019
I love this! I use my Instant Pot, much quicker.
Oct 5, 2019
The best pot roast I have ever made. I love the sauerkraut in it. Definitely a keeper!
Aug 29, 2019
You read my mind Marian! I also dont understand why some people say "I followed recipe exactly except, I left out this, this and this and I added that, that and that. Then say, after all those changes they made, "and I didn't care for that recipe at all"!