Grampa’s German-Style Pot Roast
Grampa was of German heritage and loved the Old Country recipes given to him by his mother. I made a few changes to give this recipe an updated flavor and to use my slow cooker instead of the oven. —Nancy Heishman, Las Vegas, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 4 thick-sliced bacon strips
- 1 pound baby Yukon Gold potatoes
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 3/4 cup chopped dill pickles
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 2 packages (14.4 ounces each) frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup stout beer or beef broth
- 1/3 cup Dusseldorf mustard
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes, carrots, sauerkraut and pickles in a 7-qt. slow cooker. Mix paprika, allspice, salt and pepper; rub over roast. Brown roast in drippings over medium heat. Transfer to slow cooker. Add onions and garlic to drippings; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in beer and mustard; pour over meat. Crumble bacon; add to slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on low until meat and vegetables are tender, 6-8 hours. Remove roast; let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Strain cooking juices. Reserve vegetables and juices; skim fat. Return reserved vegetables and cooking juices to slow cooker. Stir in sour cream; heat through. Serve with roast; sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 552 calories, 31g fat (12g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 926mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 39g protein.
Originally published as Grampa's German Style Pot Roast in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.