Grampa’s German-Style Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours + standing
- 4 thick-sliced bacon strips
- 1 pound baby Yukon Gold potatoes
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 3/4 cup chopped dill pickles
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 2 packages (14.4 ounces each) frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup stout beer or beef broth
- 1/3 cup Dusseldorf mustard
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes, carrots, sauerkraut and pickles in a 7-qt. slow cooker. Mix paprika, allspice, salt and pepper; rub over roast. Brown roast in drippings over medium heat. Transfer to slow cooker. Add onions and garlic to drippings; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in beer and mustard; pour over meat. Crumble bacon; add to slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on low until meat and vegetables are tender, 6-8 hours. Remove roast; let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Strain cooking juices. Reserve vegetables and juices; skim fat. Return reserved vegetables and cooking juices to slow cooker. Stir in sour cream; heat through. Serve with roast; sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 552 calories, 31g fat (12g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 926mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 39g protein.
Nov 19, 2019
Oh my gosh...so good!!! I followed the recipe exactly as written and it turned out perfect. My family absolutely loved it and we will definitely keep it!
Oct 8, 2019
I love this! I use my Instant Pot, much quicker.
Oct 5, 2019
The best pot roast I have ever made. I love the sauerkraut in it. Definitely a keeper!
Aug 29, 2019
You read my mind Marian! I also dont understand why some people say "I followed recipe exactly except, I left out this, this and this and I added that, that and that. Then say, after all those changes they made, "and I didn't care for that recipe at all"!