Slow-Cooker Pot Roast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon beef base
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, whisk water and beef base; add mushrooms, onion and garlic. Sprinkle roast with pepper; transfer to slow cooker. Drizzle with Worcestershire sauce. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Remove roast to a serving platter; tent with foil. Strain cooking juices, reserving vegetables. Skim fat from cooking juices. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and salt until smooth; gradually whisk in cooking juices. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cooked vegetables. Serve with roast.
5 ounces cooked meat with 1/2 cup gravy: 380 calories, 22g fat (10g saturated fat), 126mg cholesterol, 467mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 35g protein.
Jan 24, 2019Really good!! I added more water and beef base because I was worried it would dry up while at work. Meat was perfectly tender but I would suggest adding more seasoning. The gravy is the best I have personally ever made! Thick and full of flavor. I will make this again.
Jan 21, 2019Found the meat not tender even after 6 hours. Amount of Worcestershire sauce was overpowering. Also didn't think mushrooms added to the recipe. Would not fix again
Jan 17, 2019This recipe is rich and hardy. It was my first time using beef base and I really liked it. The gravy was good also, although I would have preferred it to be a bit thinner. The mushrooms added a great texture and taste that i really enjoyed.
Jan 13, 2019I really didn't care for this recipe. I followed it to the letter, but it had little flavor and the meat was a bit tough. That hasn't happened with my previous recipe, so I think I'll go back to it.
Jan 7, 2019Easy. Did not have to brown roast as I usually do and that saved time. Vegetables were good. First time to use beef base and that tasted good too ( has to be stored in refrigerator after opening, so I wonder how long that lasts...). Had to cook 8 hours to get my roast tender. Will definitely be my go-to slow cooker recipe.
Dec 15, 2018Melt in your mouth, tender and delicious! Forwarding the recipe to my brother!
Sep 26, 2018This was good, but I feel like I would like some more seasoning. My family all ate it and said it was good though.
Feb 12, 2018
We didn't have beef base so I used broth. I also added carrots. I thought the flavor was ok, but my husband loved it. The meat was tender but would have been even more moist if I would have stopped cooking at 6 hours.
Jan 15, 2018
excellent recipe. I made this twice. I tried another recipe in this site. this one beats it by far. The gravy turned out perfect. Best gravy I ever made.
Jan 15, 2018
Love this recipe but want to try it in a pressure cooker. What changes should I make to the recipe/ingredients/cook time?