- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon beef base
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, whisk water and beef base; add mushrooms, onion and garlic. Sprinkle roast with pepper; transfer to slow cooker. Drizzle with Worcestershire sauce. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast to a serving platter; tent with foil. Strain cooking juices, reserving vegetables. Skim fat from cooking juices. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and salt until smooth; gradually whisk in cooking juices. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cooked vegetables. Serve with roast. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSlow Cooker Pot Roast
"Excellent recipe. Best Pot Roast I ever made."
"This is the best recipe for roast beef that I have ever seen! Absolutely delicious!"
"Great recipe! Made it for family and friends on a weekend getaway. Everyone loved it! The beef base gave it such great flavor!"
"Very good - meat was very moist - I might use a little more spices next time to give it a little more flavor for the gravy (which I made from the left over juices - minus the butter)"
"To sherylchan: I know this is a late response but maybe you will still see it or it will also help others who have the same question. And by the way it was not a silly question.. You can find beef base usually in the soup aisle. Usually the soup mixes and the bouillon cubes. They usually have chicken and beef base. It's just I think the drippings of beef that have been jarred. I don't know that for sure but that's what I think it is or something like that.If you don't want to buy beef base or if you cannot find it you can always use what I do which is buy some beef broth, I prefer cans of Campbell's but you can choose whichever brand you like. And I also add some onion soup mix ro it and a few beef bullion cubes. And I add a few drops of Worchester sauce. I love for my pot roast have a lot of really deep beefy onion flavor so this is usually how I do my pot roast ."
"Fantastic recipe. The only addition I made was adding baby carrots along with the mushrooms and onions. This will definitely be my go to pot roast recipe."
"At risk of sounding like an idiot, I need to ask, "What is beef base?""
"I made this Saturday, and agree with Baily Moms5, no left overs .........so good! My Teen agers didn't complain because I cut up onions and mushrooms and they tasted before '' saying I don't like this '' Good Recipe!"
"I made this meal yesterday night. Usually I have left overs, however, I didn't have a drop left. This was very flavorful and would make it again."