- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon beef base
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, whisk water and beef base; add mushrooms, onion and garlic. Sprinkle roast with pepper; transfer to slow cooker. Drizzle with Worcestershire sauce. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast to a serving platter; tent with foil. Strain cooking juices, reserving vegetables. Skim fat from cooking juices. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and salt until smooth; gradually whisk in cooking juices. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cooked vegetables. Serve with roast. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSlow Cooker Pot Roast
"We didn't have beef base so I used broth. I also added carrots. I thought the flavor was ok, but my husband loved it. The meat was tender but would have been even more moist if I would have stopped cooking at 6 hours."
"excellent recipe. I made this twice. I tried another recipe in this site. this one beats it by far. The gravy turned out perfect. Best gravy I ever made."
"Love this recipe but want to try it in a pressure cooker. What changes should I make to the recipe/ingredients/cook time?"
"By far the best roast I've ever had or cooked! Definitely a keeper!"
"Delicious and easy. I cooked mine for 6 hours and it was nice and tender. Gravy was wonderful!"
"Everyone loved this. Gravy was delicious. Will make again."
"Enjoyed by all! My son LOVED the gravy! Cooked baby carrots and cut up potatoes with it in a 7 quart slow cooker."
"Excellent 6 hrs high and fantastic gravy. Stretched with 1 cup beef broth."