Slow Cooker Barbacoa
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked jasmine rice, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Place the first nine ingredients in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Add broth; pulse to combine.
- Place roast and bay leaves in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker; pour sauce over top. Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Prepare rice about 30 minutes before serving. In a large saucepan, combine water, rice, butter and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from heat; gently stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Remove roast from slow cooker; cool slightly. Discard bay leaves and skim fat from cooking juices. Shred beef with two forks; return to slow cooker. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup beef mixture with 2/3 cup cooked rice: 513 calories, 21g fat (9g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 882mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 37g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 5, 2018
cider vinegar and lime juice overpowered other flavors. Wont be trying this again
Oct 19, 2018
I would make this again but would tone down the heat. It made my hair curl but my husband said the heat didn't bother him. So if you have family members who are bothered by extra hot meals just fish out the meat when it's done, shred it and let those who like heat spoon the gravy over their dishes. I also tinkered with the rice. Sauted the cilantro lightly in butter before adding water and minute rice then added two tablespoons of gravy into the rice for flavor and then I put a large dollop of sour cream on top. Great flavor. I did have to plug the crock pot into another room and shut the door - the aroma was quite vivid. :-)
Jul 13, 2018
This recipe is SO good. Taste just like chipotle barbacoa beef. I shredded the roast with a hand mixer, way too lazy for forks :) If you're looking for a good copy cat recipe of chipotle barbacoa beef, look no further.
Jul 3, 2018
This recipe looks so delicious, will make it soon- minus the cilantro (I am one on those people that cilantro tastes like soap to). I was very relieved when I read through your recipe and that it was a beef roast, and not cow's head meat that was required! The barbacoa that I have seen on the cooking shows is made from meat off of a boiled cow's head! I know that is a very silly thing to say! But kudos to your recipe!
Jun 7, 2018
Easy to make and the flavor is fantastic. An instant family favorite!!
May 10, 2018
I made this exactly as the recipe states and it is delicious. We all loved it, it has just the right amount of spiciness, the cilantro lime rice is a great for this as it goes well with the heat that is in this dish. We will be making this again, its definitely a keeper.
May 6, 2018
Our whole family loved this. The meat was tasty and tender. Will be making this again!
Apr 30, 2018
My husband and I really enjoyed this. It is great over rice or to make a tacos or nachos with. Great versatile recipe
Apr 23, 2018
Seems everybody that reviewed it, liked it but we didn't care for it and won't do it again. I followed the recipe exactly and the meat was tender and shredded as it should be. It did smell good cooking!
Feb 8, 2018
Delicious! Very spicy.