Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked jasmine rice, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Place the first 9 ingredients in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Add broth; pulse to combine.
- Place roast and bay leaves in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker; pour sauce over top. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 7-9 hours.
- Prepare rice about 30 minutes before serving. In a large saucepan, combine water, rice, butter and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat; gently stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Remove roast from slow cooker; cool slightly. Discard bay leaves and skim fat from cooking juices. Shred beef with 2 forks; return to slow cooker. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup beef mixture with 2/3 cup cooked rice: 513 calories, 21g fat (9g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 882mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 37g protein.
May 23, 2020
This was amazing. I made it exactly as it appears in the recipe. The spice was perfect. The rice was so flavorful as well. This is a keeper for my family!
May 5, 2020
This was fabulous!!! Husband and both kiddos asked for seconds for both the meat and rice and said they could eat it every night! The only substitutions I made was with the rice, used olive oil in place of butter, brown rice, chicken stock and less salt because of salt. Delicious!!
Feb 18, 2020
My family loved this recipe. We found it flavorful and not spicy at all. Some ate it as a taco on flour tortillas with the usual fixings, lettuce, tomatoes, avocados, sour cream, hot sauce and some ate is as a “bowl” layering it: rice , meat, and the taco toppings. I froze the extra liquid to make into a gravy, add to soups or anything else I can think of.
Dec 29, 2019
I love this recipe. I made it as is and it is flavorful and filling. I did find lime-cilantro rice that is FANTASTIC at my store, and I swear it tastes just like I made it from scratch. This dish is a keeper!
Sep 29, 2019
Love this recipe!! Will be doing this one again.
Jun 1, 2019
Loved the rice. It was delicious!
May 2, 2019
This recipe is wonderful and I've made it so many times!
Feb 27, 2019
This was really flavorful
Feb 12, 2019
Family loved this. We did it slightly different, served it street taco style with mini flour tortillas, sour cream, etc. I have a spanish rice recipe I love so I did that instead. The barbacoa was excellent. Usually when I make a crock pot roast type anything (stew, pulled pork, etc.) I have a huge amount left over that no one ever goes back to. With this, I only had one tiny little 8 ounce containers worth and I bet it'll be gone today. No one in my family had issue with the spice, however, everyone in the house except me snacks on jalapenos - so we're pretty spice loving.
Nov 5, 2018
cider vinegar and lime juice overpowered other flavors. Wont be trying this again