Slow Cooker Caponata
This Italian eggplant dips preps quickly and actually gets better as it stands. Serve it warm or at room temperature. Try adding a little leftover caponata to scrambled eggs for a savory breakfast. —Nancy Beckman, Helena, Montana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 2 medium eggplants, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 12 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons capers, undrained
- 5 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- French bread baguette slices, toasted
- Fresh basil leaves, toasted pine nuts and additional olive oil, optional
- Place first eleven ingredients in a 6-qt. slow cooker (do not stir). Cook, covered, on high for 3 hours. Stir gently; replace cover. Cook on high until vegetables are tender, 2 hours longer. Cool slightly; discard bay leaves. Serve with toasted baguette slices. If desired, serve with toppings.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 34 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 189mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Caponata in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.