Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 4 whole cloves
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 bone-in pork shoulder roast (6 to 7 pounds)
- 24 corn tortillas (6 inches) or taco shells, warmed
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream and chopped tomato, onion and cilantro
- In a small bowl, mix first 9 ingredients. Place onions in a 6-qt. oval slow cooker. Place roast over onions; pour salsa mixture over roast. Cook, covered, on low until pork is tender, 8-10 hours.
- Remove roast; remove and discard bone. Shred pork with 2 forks. Serve in tortillas with toppings as desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled pork mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, stirring occasionally; add water or broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts2 tacos: 393 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 757mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 4g fiber), 32g protein.
Feb 9, 2018
Wow not only delicious, it's easy in the slow cooker. Family loved this, and printed this our for my recipe collection.
Dec 1, 2017
This was extremely easy to prepare. It was also delicious. The roast I got was very large (almost 8 pounds), so I cooked it on high for the first two hours to make sure it got done in 8 hours. It was so tender that the bone came out easily. I shredded it and served it both on tortillas and just by itself with cheese sauce. We also used it in quesadillas. It made a ton, so I have several servings in the freezer for a quick meal on a cold night.