Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups minced fresh cilantro
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tequila or additional chicken broth
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chiles
- 12 flour tortillas (8 inches) or corn tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- Fresh cilantro leaves, sliced red onion and chopped tomatoes, optional
- Cut roast in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle with the garlic, oil, salt and pepper. Add the onions, cilantro, salsa, broth, tequila and chiles. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat; cool slightly. Shred with 2 forks and return to the slow cooker; heat through. Spoon about 2/3 cup meat mixture onto each tortilla; serve with toppings of your choice.
Nutrition Facts1 taco: 363 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 615mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Dec 13, 2019
I read the title and knowing how much I like Carnitas, I thought oh yeah let's eat. Then I read about the tequila and that just turned me off. I found a great recipe on another site. I hate liquor of any kind, even beer. Thanks anyway.
Oct 19, 2019
These were very good! I used a method from Allrecipes site, to crisp up the meat in the oven. Topped with lime juice, sour cream, onion, radish, cilantro and Monterey Jack cheese. Used quick fried corn tortillas. Delicious!
Jul 9, 2019
Easy recipe but unfortunately did not feel they had much flavor. Followed the recipe exactly and used the tequila (which did give it a unique flavor) but overall was not impressed. Do plan to take the leftovers to work for the next potluck- am sure they will love them.
Mar 12, 2019
These were so easy and tasty! the whole family loved them. Can't wait to make them again for a party food! Thank you for sharing!
Sep 30, 2017
We LOVE this recipe!! I'd give it six stars if that was an option! We make it quite often. I tried using the chicken broth once when I didn't have the tiquila, and while it was still really good It really needs the tiquila for full flavor. I'm also going to try using the corn tortillas as others have sugested, I like them better anyway! We also like using the liquid, it makes a wonderful tortilla soup. Yumm!
Jul 30, 2017
This was quite good. It was done after 6 hours (I used a pork loin). As another reviewer indicated, I turned it after 5 hours and let it cook one more hour. Used a 7-oz. can of fire-roasted chilies. For toppers, I used red pickled onions, fresh lime, cilantro, chopped grape tomatoes, sour cream and guacamole. Used both flour and corn tortillas. Next time will try to drain off some of the excess liquid.
Jul 7, 2017
LOVED these! I served them on small corn tortillas with Emily's Honey Lime Coleslaw (also here on the Taste of Home site). I will never make another recipe for a pork taco again. I loved how all the cilantro, onions, garlic and salsa really infused in the meat. The ratio of liquid to meat here is just right.....it's nice and moist but not dripping when you serve it.
Jun 5, 2017
Really delicious on small corn tortillas with pickled red onions and fresh chopped cilantro!
Jan 26, 2017
I needed a recipe yo use up some pork I had thawedz found this! We really liked it! Moist, and tender! The leftovers made a wonderful pork green chili stew!
Jan 24, 2017
Meat came out real tender, but not much flavor. I was surprised at how bland it tasted. i added a few sprinkles of cumin on mine, once in the shell. When we reheated it for another meal, I added a packet of dry taco seasoning. That seemed to give it a little more flavor. Not what I was expecting.