Slow Cooker Chipotle Beef Carnitas
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 8 hours
Makes16 servings plus 1/4 cup leftover spice mixture
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 3 poblano peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 16 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 3 cups crumbled queso fresco or shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Optional toppings: cubed avocado, sour cream and minced fresh cilantro
- Mix the first nine ingredients. Cut roast in half; rub with 1/4 cup spice mixture. Cover and store remaining mixture in a cool, dry place for up to 1 year.
- Place onions and peppers in a 4-qt. slow cooker. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown roast on all sides. Transfer meat and drippings to slow cooker. Top with salsa. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 8-10 hours.
- Remove roast; shred with two forks. Skim fat from cooking juices. Return meat to slow cooker; heat through. Using a slotted spoon, place 1/2 cup meat mixture on each tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese. Add toppings of your choice.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 carnita (calculated without optional toppings): 415 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 830mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 11, 2019
This was amazing. No changes.
Jun 20, 2018
Perfection! Fall apart tender! A delicious blend of spices too. I prepared a 1/2 batch of rub because I wasn't sure I wanted extra if I didn't like the recipe. This one is a keeper!!
Jan 9, 2018
This is FANTASTIC! I didn't change a thing, and won't next time, either. The meat is super tender and very flavorful. It was about as spicy as the kids could handle, but they still enjoyed it!