Slow-Cooker Frittata Provencal
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato, peeled and sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 12 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 log (4 ounces) fresh goat cheese, coarsely crumbled, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped soft sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- Layer two 24-in. pieces of aluminum foil; starting with a long side, fold up foil to create a 1-in.-wide strip. Shape strip into a coil to make a rack for bottom of a 6-qt. oval slow cooker. Add water to slow cooker; set foil rack in water.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add potato and onion; cook and stir until potato is lightly browned, 5-7 minutes. Stir in paprika. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish (dish must fit in slow cooker).
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, thyme, pepper sauce, salt and pepper; stir in 2 ounces cheese. Pour over potato mixture. Top with tomatoes and remaining goat cheese. Place dish on foil rack.
- Cook, covered, on low until eggs are set and a knife inserted in center comes out clean, 3-4 hours.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 wedge: 245 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 385mg cholesterol, 338mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 medium-fat meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 20, 2016
I don't see where the sun-dried tomatoes are added?
Dec 14, 2015
sscruffy I am on a low carb plan as well. I have not made this but I very often sub cauliflower for potatoes and I have never had a problem I think it would work well in this dish.
Dec 14, 2015
This is great as it however I have a question, I am on low carb eating plan. Can you make this with cauliflower instead of potatoes? I liked adding various cheeses on top as the other reviewer suggested
Oct 13, 2015
The flavors of this dish are very good! I didn't make it in a crock pot because of time restraints but I baked it in a stone casserole dish until the center was nearly set. It finished baking as it sat. We loved the sun-dried tomatoes and the goat cheese together. I even sprinkled some cheddar on top before eating it. I think it would also be good with some spicy breakfast sausage added to the mix! Yum! We will have this again!