Slow Cooker Frittata Provencal
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato, peeled and sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 12 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 log (4 ounces) fresh goat cheese, coarsely crumbled, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped soft sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- Layer two 24-in. pieces of aluminum foil; starting with a long side, fold up foil to create a 1-in.-wide strip. Shape strip into a coil to make a rack for bottom of a 6-qt. oval slow cooker. Add water to slow cooker; set foil rack in water.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add potato and onion; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until potato is lightly browned. Stir in paprika. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish (dish must fit in slow cooker).
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, thyme, pepper sauce, salt and pepper; stir in 2 ounces cheese. Pour over potato mixture. Top with tomatoes and remaining goat cheese. Place dish on foil rack.
- Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until eggs are set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 wedge: 245 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 385mg cholesterol, 338mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 medium-fat meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Oct 20, 2016
I don't see where the sun-dried tomatoes are added?
Dec 14, 2015
sscruffy I am on a low carb plan as well. I have not made this but I very often sub cauliflower for potatoes and I have never had a problem I think it would work well in this dish.
Dec 14, 2015
This is great as it however I have a question, I am on low carb eating plan. Can you make this with cauliflower instead of potatoes? I liked adding various cheeses on top as the other reviewer suggested
Oct 13, 2015
The flavors of this dish are very good! I didn't make it in a crock pot because of time restraints but I baked it in a stone casserole dish until the center was nearly set. It finished baking as it sat. We loved the sun-dried tomatoes and the goat cheese together. I even sprinkled some cheddar on top before eating it. I think it would also be good with some spicy breakfast sausage added to the mix! Yum! We will have this again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.