Slow Cooker Goetta
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 4 hours
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 6 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups steel-cut oats
- 6 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon each garlic powder, rubbed sage and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine water, oats and seasonings. Cook, covered, on high 2 hours. Remove bay leaves.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onions over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Stir sausage mixture and reserved drippings into oats. Cook, covered, on low 2 hours.
- Transfer mixture to two plastic wrap-lined 9x5-in. loaf pans. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- To serve, slice each loaf into 16 slices. In a large skillet, cook goetta, in batches, over medium heat 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and heated through. Freeze option: After shaping goetta in loaf pans, cool and freeze, covered, until firm. Transfer goetta to resealable plastic freezer bags or wrap securely in foil; return to freezer. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight; slice and cook as directed.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 25, 2018
We first saw Goetta on an episode of "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" and had to try our hand in making it. This recipe had lots of seasoning , which we like. My steel cut oats was really dry and sticking to my slow cooker before the first 2 hours of cooking was up. Added more water and the meat and cooked another 2 hours on low. Deliciously differemt! Thanks for sharimg. ~Fay from Montana