Slow Cooker Goetta
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 4 hours
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 6 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups steel-cut oats
- 6 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon each garlic powder, rubbed sage and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine water, oats and seasonings. Cook, covered, on high 2 hours. Remove bay leaves.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onions over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Stir sausage mixture and reserved drippings into oats. Cook, covered, on low 2 hours.
- Transfer mixture to two plastic wrap-lined 9x5-in. loaf pans. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- To serve, slice each loaf into 16 slices. In a large skillet, cook goetta, in batches, over medium heat 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and heated through. Freeze option: After shaping goetta in loaf pans, cool and freeze, covered, until firm. Transfer goetta to resealable plastic freezer bags or wrap securely in foil; return to freezer. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight; slice and cook as directed.
Jun 25, 2018
We first saw Goetta on an episode of "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" and had to try our hand in making it. This recipe had lots of seasoning , which we like. My steel cut oats was really dry and sticking to my slow cooker before the first 2 hours of cooking was up. Added more water and the meat and cooked another 2 hours on low. Deliciously differemt! Thanks for sharimg. ~Fay from Montana
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.