Spicy Pork and Butternut Squash Ragu
This recipe is a marvelously spicy combo perfect for cooler fall weather and satisfying after a day spent outdoors. —Monica Osterhaus, Paducah, Kentucky
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen cooked winter squash, thawed
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds boneless country-style pork ribs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Hot cooked pasta
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, optional
- Combine first five ingredients in bottom of 6- or 7-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle ribs with salt, garlic powder and pepper; place in slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until pork is tender, 5-6 hours.
- Remove cover; stir to break pork into smaller pieces. Serve with pasta. If desired, top with Parmesan cheese.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup ragu: 195 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 426mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Pork and Spicy Butternut Squash Ragú with Penne Rigate in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.