Homemade Ragu Bolognese
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 2 hours
Makes10 servings (7-1/2 cups)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/4 pound bacon strips, diced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cumin, nutmeg and pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, pork, bacon, onions, celery and carrots over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Add wine; cook for 4-5 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, bay leaves, sugar and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaves. Add the cream, butter and parsley; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in cheese. Serve with pasta.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 309 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 746mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein.
May 16, 2016
Very good. I did omit the bacon and whipping cream, because I didn't have any on hand but it didn't lose any flavor to me. I also used stock, instead of wine. I'll make this again!
Aug 30, 2013
I've been making this recipe since I first saw it published. I only tried it with the red wine once and didn't care for it but I'm not a red wine drinker. I make it in double batches so I can freeze or can it to have later It's amazing
Nov 9, 2011
I halfed the recipe (just wife & I). Used petite diced tomatoes (15 oz); could not find crushed in that size. I used wine. Served with warm garlic bread. Excellent flavor.
Aug 10, 2011
YUM! We left the bacon out since we didn't have any on hand, and I don't even think it's necessary. Also doubled the oregano since we had no thyme. So delicious! We served with Sweet Spinach Salad, also in the recipe finder.~ Theresa
Jul 31, 2011
I LOVE this recipe, and have made it many times now. It is rich and meaty and has many "layers of flavor". I have found that it freezes well too, so I usually make a double batch. Enjoy. :)
Mar 23, 2011
Great sauce!I had to make a few alterations to fit what was in my cabinets. In place of red wine, I used a splash of red wine vinegar and beef broth. I used savory pork sausage (bulk package) in place of the ground pork and ground beef.This is definitely a recipe that I will use again and again!
Jan 23, 2011
THis is wonderful!! Everyone that tastes it loves it too!! Thank you!
Mar 17, 2010
I made this twice so far for dinner guests and everyone raved about it. Easily feeds 4-6 people and you'll still have leftovers for another meal. A new favorite in my recipe box - thanks for an excellent homemade recipe!
Mar 8, 2010
Feb 26, 2010
I have always wanted to make a homeade sauce and so I tried this one as my first and my whole family loved it. Very good - can't wait to make spaghetti for supper again!! Thank You!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.