Hearty Ragu Bolognese
My robust ragu combines ground beef, sausage and chicken. Serve it over any type of pasta or baked or fried polenta. It's even good on its own with a slice of hot, buttered garlic bread. —Caroline Brody, Forest Hills, New York
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3-3/4 hours
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- Hot cooked pasta
- Place onions, celery, carrot and garlic in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. In a Dutch oven, heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add vegetable mixture and nutmeg; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Add beef; cook 6-8 minutes longer or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles. Stir in salt and pepper. Remove with a slotted spoon; discard drippings from pan.
- In same pan, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Return beef mixture to pan. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until wine is evaporated. Add broth and chicken breasts; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12-15 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°. Remove chicken; cool slightly. Finely chop chicken.
- Add cream and tomato paste; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Return chicken to pot; reduce heat and simmer, covered, 3-4 hours or until flavors are blended, stirring occasionally. Serve with pasta.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.
Originally published as Ragu Bolognese in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.