Slow-Simmered Meat Ragu
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 jar (24 ounces) tomato basil pasta sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 jars (6 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 jar (3-1/2 ounces) prepared pesto
- 1-1/2 pounds chicken tenderloins
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pepperoni
- 1/2 cup pitted ripe olives, halved
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Hot cooked angel hair pasta
- In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and onion; cook and stir until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender. Drain. Add to slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender. Serve with pasta. Freeze option: Do not cook or add pasta. Freeze cooled sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Cook pasta according to package directions. Place meat mixture in a large saucepan; heat through, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Proceed as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 341 calories, 20g fat (5g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 1294mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein.
Oct 23, 2017
We loved this flavorful sauce. Thick like a stew, and we loved it over Spaghetti squash, sprinkled with some parmesan cheese.
Mar 2, 2016
Like the chunks of meat and not too heavy. Cut the chicken into large cubes so it would be about same size as sausage. Skipped the pepperoni. Only change to the recipe. Was plenty done 5 or 6 hours total. Rich flavor with the pesto think you would need more to serve 10 so good!
Feb 25, 2016
I would substitute Italian seasoned meatballs for the chicken tenderloins, but otherwise it sounds great! (This is just a personal opinion, but chicken doesn't go in spaghetti type dishes, to me.)
Jul 22, 2015
I really like the variety of meats in this dish, my family raved about it.
Apr 3, 2014
Very good and a nice change from the traditional hamburger or sausage sauce but it is more expensive to make.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.