Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
Makesabout 1-1/3 cups
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash ground allspice
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, nutmeg, allspice and water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and extracts. Serve with spice cake. Refrigerate leftovers.
Dec 25, 2019
This sauce tastes o.k. but is no way related to British 'Hard Sauce' . Real Hard Sauce has three ingredients, butter, powdered sugar and alcohol, usually brandy. It is not cooked and once refrigerated is hard, hence the name.
Oct 16, 2018
Tasted great. Added more vanilla
Dec 11, 2009
This is just wonderful served on top of very warm bread pudding. It melts and makes a wonderful sauce.
Oct 2, 2009
I tried it. My grandkids tried it.We all loved it!!!