I remember making this sauce for my mom when I was about 8 years old. I loved the aroma and spicy flavor. Today, many cooks spread cream-cheese frosting on spice cake instead, but I think you're really missing something if you bypass this warm, old-time sauce. —Shirley Joan Helfenbein, Lapeer, Michigan
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
Makesabout 1-1/3 cups
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash ground allspice
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, nutmeg, allspice and water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and extracts. Serve with spice cake. Refrigerate leftovers.
Originally published as Warm Hard Sauce in Taste of Home October/November 2007
Oct 16, 2018
Tasted great. Added more vanilla
Dec 11, 2009
This is just wonderful served on top of very warm bread pudding. It melts and makes a wonderful sauce.
Oct 2, 2009
I tried it. My grandkids tried it.We all loved it!!!