Spicy Chicken and Hominy Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth, divided
- 1 can (15 ounces) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil. With a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. In the same skillet, saute onion and garlic in drippings until tender; add to chicken.
- Place chipotle peppers and 1/4 cup broth in a blender or food processor; cover and process until blended. Add to chicken mixture. Stir in the hominy, chilies, seasonings and remaining broth. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 277 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 1558mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein.
Oct 29, 2017
Very tasty. A little on the spicy side for some, but but a dab of sour cream in to "cool it down" a bit.Years ago I was a missionary in Mexico and have very fond memories of the beloved posole (and the wonderful family who shared it with us so many times). I was excited to stumble across the recipe after 15 years of waiting. We served it with hot, fresh bread on the side and everyone loved it!By the way, if you're in need of a quick bread recipe (little prep time, not length of waiting) try Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. I made the Oat Bread and served it up with the posole. Excellent combination for a warm, comforting meal.*** This is not a recipe for children. Too spicy. ***
Dec 29, 2015
The author of this recipe clearly states that everyone makes the recipe differently but this is how SHE makes it.Thanks for sharing the recipe Janet. My family liked it.
Dec 29, 2015
I was born in New Mexico and we do not use chicken we use pork and we also use blended red chili , never Green chili for a can. We freeze roasted chili for the winter. Blended Dried Red chili. Garlic and oregano are the only seasoning we use. And use red chili only.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.