Curried Pork and Green Tomatoes
When the tomatoes are green in the garden, my husband and sons are thrilled to know this dish will appear on several weekly menus. I've passed the recipe on more times than I can count.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 large fresh green tomatoes, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch ground cardamom, optional
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed cooked pork
- Hot cooked rice
- In a medium skillet, saute onion in butter. Add tomatoes; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Combine flour, curry, salt, pepper, sugar and cardamom if desired; slowly stir into tomatoes. Add broth and pork; simmer, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until sauce thickens. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 275 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 879mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Curried Pork and Green Tomatoes in Country Pork
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.