Blueberry Chops with Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes
A sweet and spicy combo is the perfect accent for meaty chops. With a fresh green veggie on the side, this is a hearty summer meal. It’s easy, yet impressive enough to serve to company. —Laura Davis, Chincoteague, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Grill: 10 min.
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- SWEET POTATOES:
- 1-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 pork rib chops (1 inch thick and 8 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- For sauce, combine first 5 ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until liquid is reduced by half, 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Place sweet potatoes and enough water to cover in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes. Drain; return to pan. Mash potatoes until smooth, adding butter, brown sugar, cream, salt and cinnamon. Cover; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill or broiler. Sprinkle pork chops with salt and pepper. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat on a broiler pan until a thermometer reads 145°, 4-6 minutes per side. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Serve over sweet potatoes; top with sauce.
Test Kitchen tips