Sweet ‘n’ Sour Ribs
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 3 to 4 pounds boneless country-style pork ribs
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits, undrained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green pepper
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Place ribs in an ungreased 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the next 11 ingredients; pour over ribs. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 8-10 hours.
- To make sauce, transfer cooking juices to a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into juices. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with ribs.
Nutrition Facts8 ounce-weight: 378 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 256mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein.
Jan 22, 2018
these were pretty good...needed something, but I'm not sure what
Jun 21, 2011
I've got it in the crockpot now and it smells amazing. Just have to decide whether to serve it over rice noodles or rice. Can't wait for dinner! :)
Apr 9, 2010
This has become one of our favorite recipes. The meat is so tender and the sauce is excellent. I make this more often on the stove top. Doesn't take as long and the sauce thickens up a bit.
Mar 1, 2010
I would not make this again, the ribs had no flavor, the sauce was ok, but not worth the time.
Oct 20, 2008
I made this using bone-in ribs and was disappointed that the sauce was very, very, very watery and not thick at all. I was really put off the texture and ended up throwing most of it out. Is there any way to thicken the sauce?
May 23, 2008
One of my favorite recipes! I use chunk pineapple, and chunk the pepper and onion instead of slicing, just my preference. We like the sauce thickened - at least part of it. Serve over rice. It's like shish-ka-bobs in a crock pot! Wonderful!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.