Mention pork spareribs to any Southerner, and barbecue will almost always come to mind. This recipe is a favorite with my family. Who don't you try it and see if it doesn't become one of your family's favorites?
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1-3/4 hours
- 3 to 3-1/2 pounds pork spareribs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place in a single layer in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 30-35 minutes; drain.
- In a large saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Pour over ribs. Bake 50-60 minutes longer, basting occasionally. Cut into serving-size pieces.
Nutrition Facts8 ounce-weight: 524 calories, 37g fat (12g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 799mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 32g protein.
Originally published as Barbecued Ribs in Country June/July 1992